Sunday, November 7, 2010

Pursuit of Happiness

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about my blog. Sadly, I haven't had any fun since my last update due to work and studying. However, I have a few updates.

As I mentioned in my first post, I have become Elizabeth Gilbert on an "Eat Pray Love"-like adventure to discover parts of myself that have been forgotten or neglected over the years. I had my first epiphany a couple weeks ago, and I decided to do something to mark its importance.

Family has always been important to me, but I never knew how much I actually miss them. I suddenly realized that I would be missing Thanksgiving at home, which happens to be one of my favorite times of the year. I would usually wake up to the smell of my mom's cooking, turn on the Thanksgiving Day Macy's Parade on TV and drift in and out of sleep before I would wake up for the festivities. Black Friday was the highlight of Thanksgiving weekend; for the past few years, my brother or mom and I would wake up at the crack of dawn to join the other thrifty shoppers and kick off the Christmas season.
Sadly, that's another holiday I'm missing as well. Every year my family and I would join my dad's side of the family and have a huge dinner before unwrapping a pile of gifts. I love the feeling of Christmas, with the crisp, cold air, the white snow that makes the world seem clean and new, the spirit of giving, the warm cookies out of the oven, the hot chocolate, the blankets, etc. All of that will just be a faint memory this year.

And as much as I get annoyed with my parents calling me every single day to check up on me, asking the same questions and telling me the same things, I deeply appreciate how much they care (of course, I would never tell them that). But my family, from parents to cousins, have been there for me through thick and thin, always ready to listen to my problems and support my decisions. Therefore, yesterday, I got a tattoo of my family name (Ngo/Wu) on my finger (inside of my right index) to show how important family is to me. Not sure what my parents will say when they see it, but it's too late to change it now.

I never thought I would get a tattoo in my life, but one thing I've learned is that there are no absolutes in this world. One day, you'll have your whole life planned out, and the next, you're on a different path. Just go with the flow.

On another note, my friend Erik, who I met as a freshman at Wentworth, had a layover at LAX today so I got to meet up with him and hang out around Venice! It was so so nice to see a familiar face after being out here for two months. I haven't had many people to talk to due to my location and work.
He quickly learned how awful the public transportation is, as it took him 2 hours to figure out how to get from LAX to Venice. However, we had a great time. I took him to a cute little diner called 50's Cafe where we had a hearty breakfast for a very cheap price. Then I showed him Abbot Kinney Boulevard and we stopped to have mimosas at Three Square Cafe (no celebrity sightings this time). Lastly, we hit the beach and walked around the boardwalk for a bit before I had to drop him off at the airport.

This is how every weekend should be.

1 comment:

  1. i'm glad i got to hear the story behind the tattoo! i actually really like it angela - it means something that is really important to you. family probably wont ever change, so i think you made a wise decision! i can't wait to see it in person!

    i remember you telling me about how much you liked thanksgiving when we lived together. i feel sad FOR you because i know how much you LOVE BLACK FRIDAY and all the deals, and the traditions of the holiday itself! it makes me sad to think you'll be in california by yourself for BOTH holidays --- that is just too depressing angela. :( when are you back in ma? i guess whoever gets you for secret santa will be shipping it :) we'll have to skype your reaction!! i'm glad you finally had a good weekend, and i hope the rest of your weekends there will be fun like this one was!

    ReplyDelete