Monday, January 3, 2011

Rome

On New Year's Eve, I got my lazy ass out of the house and went to the Getty Villa in Malibu. Like the Getty Center, it was free to visit, but unlike the Getty Center, you have to reserve advance tickets to get in because they have a limit of people allowed in at a time.

The Villa was beautiful. All of the art on display was either Roman, Greek, or Etruscan. I was reminded of Art & Theory from sophomore year when we studied how the sculptures of each region differed. Though, to be honest, I didn't really pay attention to the art. The Villa had these beautiful outdoor spaces with reflection pools, gardens, and corridors that kept me distracted. My timed admission ticket was for 3pm, so I stayed at the villa until it closed at 5pm. Unfortunately, I didn't see much of a sunset; my view was blocked by the parking garage and trees. However, if you're high enough, the villa overlooks the Pacific Ocean, so that was a nice view.
On the right,  I uploaded a picture of my favorite architectural detail. The wooden handrail transitions into the marble wall, so the handrail is carved directly from the wall. Pretty sweet.

Next up: my cousin Kim comes to visit! Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. That hand rail detail and the bronze stair is a beautiful new addition to the Villa by Machado and Silvetti. The detailing for the stair and railing --one person in the office spent one year on. It was called the $1million dollar stair because of the custom detailing and the bronze sections. Machado and Silvetti spent 10 years on the renovation of the villa.

    ReplyDelete