Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Chase This Light

Yesterday, Sarah, Jeri, and I went on a mini adventure to Museum Island to visit the Altes Museum (by Karl Friedrich Schinkel) and Berliner Dom (by a lot of architects I don't remember).


Initially I had thought that they wanted to see the exhibits at the Altes Museum, but all we did was explore the exterior a bit. I may or may not return to see the artwork. Most of the works are Roman and Greek, which I feel like would be the same as the MFA or Getty Villa.


For the Berliner Dom, we paid 3€ with our student ID to get admission into the cathedral. The interior was gorgeous; sadly there was a crane right in the middle of the cathedral! But the details were incredible, and the way the sunlight entered the dome was pretty spectacular. We walked around a bit and explored the museum part of the cathedral and saw several models they had on display. Finally we made our way to the top of the dome where you get a nice view of Berlin. I wish we went during sunset so we could get some sweet pictures! But nevertheless, it was a nice day with blue skies and below freezing temperatures. Under the cathedral is a crypt/mausoleum with several coffins (kind of creepy actually), but I recognized the name Sophie Charlotte (of Charlottenburg) and a few of the kings.

Afterwards, Sarah and I walked over to the back part of the Altes Museum to take a few more pictures before heading to studio. I cannot explain how difficult it is to be productive when you're in a foreign country. All I want to do it travel and explore!

No comments:

Post a Comment