Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Listen

As I mentioned previously, Tuesdays are our days off, but because we had a pin-up today (I'll get back to that point later), I decided to spend the day doing laundry in the bathtub, preparing a PowerPoint presentation for our trip to Madrid (we're leaving tomorrow!), and working on studio work.

In the evening, a group of us attended a strings concert at the Philharmonie. The interior of Hans Scharoun's concert hall is beautiful. I couldn't stop looking up. When we were checking in our coats, I asked the woman if photography was allowed and she said no, so I checked in my camera bag. We entered the Kammermusiksaal (Chamber Music Hall), one of two music halls at the Philharmonie, and headed to our seats. Luckily a lot of seats were empty so an usher told us we could move forward. From the moment I stepped in, I wished I had my camera. The space was intimate, the details were very captivating (especially the ceiling), and the center lights and sound system were hung beautifully. As I looked around, I realized that other people were taking pictures (with flash, nonetheless!) but I had checked mine.

When the music started, it was as if I had been placed in the middle of a movie. I kept imaging scenes that the music would be perfect for. There's something incredibly beautiful about watching a person produce music from their hands (or mouth for the clarinet and oboe players). During intermission, I headed straight for the coat check and got my camera and photographed all that I could.

We got out around 10pm, and a group of us went back to studio to work on drawings and models. I ended up staying in studio until 3am, taking a bus (the U-Bahn line we normally take wasn't running), then taking a taxi back to the apartments and pulling an all-nighter. In the morning, I learned that my professor was sick so we didn't have a pin-up today. All that stress for nothing... welcome to architecture!

We're off to Madrid in the morning until Sunday night, so look for an update next week! Mach's gut!

2 comments:

  1. Angela so glad you saw a concert in the Scharoun building. Something I have not done! (yet)

    Some advice don't ask the Germans for permission for anything photos etc they will most likely always say nein.
    Just try to carry your camera inconspicuously. This summer I had problems in germany in all museums with my should bag/backpack -not allowed!! then I had my camera on my shoulder and had a german museum person chase me (I pretended not to understand German). But be very careful checking your camera or laptop. My husband's laptop was stolen at a hotel a few years ago when we checked it to walk around the city. It turns out there is a group of guys who watch for people leaving their fancy cameras and laptops. Then they describe your bag and tell the coat check person that they lost the ticket. We watched my husband's laptop be carried away this way on the security film. Luckily for him he had backed up the previous day! Have fun in Madrid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey angela!!! i like the new layout of your blog! anyway, i HAVE been reading -- but i've been very busy so i havent been able to leave too many comments!! i wanted to say that it looks like you're having a great time, and i love seeing all the photos! have fun in madrid!!!

    ReplyDelete